Tyson Redenbarger is a Partner at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy LLP practicing in a wide range of civil litigation areas including class actions and complex civil litigation. In 2022, Tyson was listed by the Daily Journal as one of the “Top 40 Under 40” attorneys in California.
Tyson has served as plaintiffs’ counsel in numerous consumer and securities class actions in both state and federal courts. Tyson is currently serving as an attorney for Lead Counsel in several securities actions including, In re Eventbrite, Inc. Shareholder Litigation and In re Microfocus International PLC Securities Litigation, where he represents hundreds of thousands of investors. Tyson also recently served as an attorney for Lead Counsel in In re Apple Inc. Device Performance Litigation, (N.D. Cal.), representing millions of iPhone owners across the United States. The District Court recently approved the class settlement of $310 million in that multidistrict litigation. Other cases include breach of fiduciary duty suits (John Trotter (Ret.), Trustee of the PG&E Fire Victim Trust v. Williams et al.), consumer privacy suits (In re Zoom Video Communications, Inc. Privacy Litigation,) and environmental suits, including a pollution suit brought on behalf of the citizens of California against the top ten plastic producers. Tyson also works on derivative shareholder cases, including cases representing shareholders of Facebook, Gilead, and We Work.
Prior to joining CPM, Tyson worked for a tenant rights law firm in San Francisco, representing tenants who were wrongfully evicted and tenants living in uninhabitable conditions. Tyson handled several jury and bench trials, including two class action trials where he successfully obtained significant recovery for tenants who were impacted by a delayed condominium conversion.
Tyson received his Juris Doctor degree from Santa Clara University School of Law. While in law school, he participated in the Honors Moot Court program, served as a senior editor of the International Law Journal, and volunteered at the Katharine and George Alexander Community Law Center, where Tyson assisted low-income clients with consumer and debt collection disputes.
- Tyson worked extensively on the In Re Apple Device Performance litigation, in which Apple agreed to pay up to $500 million to settle. Tyson was part of the co-lead counsel team that was responsible for plaintiffs’ discovery, including defending class representatives at deposition and coordinating discovery from more than 100 named plaintiffs.
- Tyson successfully represented shareholders of Sanovas, Inc. in a shareholder derivative case alleging that Sanovas’s former CEO defrauded the company and stole millions of dollars from its shareholders. Plaintiffs were successful in halting all payments to the former CEO pursuant to his lucrative severance package, and Plaintiffs negotiated significant corporate reforms, including the expansion of the company’s board of directors and the implementation of an independent audit committee.
- Tyson represented two tenants in a jury trial involving claims that the tenants were wrongfully evicted. The jury unanimously found that the eviction was wrongful because the owners rented the tenant’s unit on Airbnb instead of living in the unit, which they were legally required to do. The jury awarded the tenants $390,000 in damages.
- Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy Ranked One of the Top Securities Law Firms Nationwide by Institutional Shareholder Services02.28.2023
- Court Orders Gilead to Pay Attorneys’ Fees and Expenses to Shareholders, Finding Corporation Engaged in “Glaringly Egregious” Conduct07.23.2021
- Law360, 11.13.2020
- SF Chronicle, 2020
- Plaintiff Magazine, 04.2015
- Advocates for Justice, 06.19.2020
- Advocates for Justice, 03.21.2020
- Advocates for Justice, 08.10.2019
Honors & Awards
Honors & Recognitions
2022 “Top 40 Under 40” attorneys in California by the Daily Journal
2021 and 2022 Northern California “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine
Pro Bono Award, Santa Clara University School of Law
California Bar Association
San Francisco Bar Association
San Mateo County Bar Association
Consumer Attorneys of California
Legal Counsel for non-profit, Health & Education in Senegal
Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D. 2013
University of Colorado, B.F.A. 2007
- U.S. District Court for Northern California