Karin Swope is a Partner with Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP’s where she represents clients in consumer protection law, antitrust and securities litigation, environmental actions, privacy litigation and intellectual property counseling. Karin has represented clients for over 20 years in proceedings in state and federal courts across the country, as well as before the USPTO. She helped consumers fight against unfair and deceptive practices, and has helped to change consumer protection law in the process. She has been appointed as co-lead counsel and to steering committees in antitrust and consumer cases, including cases against Apple and Intelius. She has represented companies and sovereign nations in protecting their intellectual property rights. She has protected the retirement funds of employees whose employers had breached their fiduciary duties in violation of ERISA, in cases against Washington Mutual, State Street Bank and Regions Financial Corporation, among others. She has also represented shareholders in complex securities litigation, including disputes involving breach of fiduciary duty.
Since 2008, Karin has served as an Adjunct Professor at Seattle University School of law, where she has taught the Intellectual Property Art Law Clinic. She is currently serving as President of the board of the Intellectual Property Section of the Washington State Bar Association and is a member of the Western Washington Federal Bar Association Local Rules Committee. She has presented and/or co-chaired numerous CLE’s on topics ranging from E-Discovery practices to Intellectual Property.
Following her graduation from Columbia Law School, Karin served as a law clerk to the Honorable John C. Coughenour in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, and as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert E. Cowen of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to Rising Stars and Super Lawyers lists in Super Lawyers - Washington, 2016, 2018-2020
Amherst College, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Columbia Law School, J.D., Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Executive Articles Editor, Columbia Human Rights Law Review, Paul Bernstein Scholarship Recipient
- Honorable John C. Coughenour, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington,
- Honorable Robert E. Cowen, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- 1994, Washington
- 1997, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- 1997, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- 2006, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- 2006, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- 2007, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- 2009, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- 2010, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- 2010, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- 2010, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- 2010, U.S. Supreme Court
- 2015, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit