Kelly W. Weil is a partner at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP's Santa Monica office, where she litigates on behalf of consumers, businesses, municipalities, whistleblowers, and injured individuals. Kelly handles a wide variety of complex cases in state and federal courts throughout California including environmental, qui tam, elder abuse, catastrophic injury, wrongful death, fraud, and consumer class actions through settlement and trial. Kelly is passionate about preserving natural resources for future generations and actively handles a wide variety of environmental cases relating to contaminated air, soil, and water.
Throughout her career, Kelly has taken hundreds of depositions of corporate executives, environmental consultants, regulatory agencies, adverse witnesses, and experts. She is a zealous advocate who uses an interdisciplinary approach to bring cases over the finish line and frequently serves on trial teams and in leadership roles.
A Santa Monica native, Kelly received her Bachelor of Science from the University of California, Los Angeles, where she majored in Political Theory and interned for the office of Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. She received her J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, where she served as a judicial extern to the Hon. Philip S. Gutierrez, United States District Court for the Central District of California, and as a clinical extern with the Loyola Project for the Innocent (a student clinic which has successfully aided in exonerating wrongfully convicted individuals). Kelly clerked full-time throughout law school for a Los Angeles civil litigation firm advocating on behalf of plaintiffs where she continued her work as a practicing attorney for another six years before joining CPM.
Since 2015, Kelly has been involved with the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice, where she serves as a volunteer attorney and sits on the Leadership Council. As a volunteer attorney, Kelly has been successful in obtaining numerous Domestic Violence Restraining Orders on behalf of victims of domestic abuse (both physical and financial).
When Kelly is not working, she enjoys cooking, doing yoga, and spending time at the beach with her family and friends. While she has remained geographically close to her roots, Kelly also loves to travel and has studied abroad in Sweden, Italy, and Costa Rica. She lives in Topanga Canyon with her husband, daughter, son, and rescue dog
Throughout her career, Kelly has represented thousands of clients in individual, mass tort, and class action cases against pharmaceutical companies, public utilities, energy companies, and automotive manufacturers.
- Represents businesses and individuals in litigation arising from the crude oil spill from a ruptured Amplify Energy pipeline off the shore of Orange County.
- Represents individuals in litigation arising from Hydrogen Sulfide exposure in the City of Carson.
- Represents municipalities and private water companies in investigation and litigation related to PFAS-contaminated groundwater.
- Served as an active member of the trial team and Plaintiffs' Steering Committee for the Southern California Gas Leak Cases (JCCP 4861) against SoCalGas and Sempra Energy, which involved the largest known release of methane (a powerful greenhouse gas) in U.S. history. The case resulted in a settlement of $1,800,000,000.00 (one billion, eight hundred million dollars).
- Served as lead counsel in cases arising from death and injury caused by COVID-19 upon cruise ships operated by Princess Cruises, resulting in confidential settlements.
- Lawsuit Filed on Behalf of Three Generation Family in Carson, CA Suffering from Exposure to Toxic Levels of Hydrogen Sulfide for Over a Month11.04.2021
- Major Orange County Oil Spill Class Action Lawsuit Filed on Behalf of Businesses Impacted by Oil Spill10.07.2021
- NBCLA, 10.04.2021
- Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy Announces SoCalGas Well Blowout Lawsuit has Settled for a Record $1.8 Billion09.27.2021
- Despite Court Closures, 2020 Brought Big Courthouse Wins for Plaintiffs in the Southern California Gas Leak Cases01.13.2021
- Shocking COVID Cover-up: Hollywood Nursing Home Forges Death Certificate to Hide its COVID Problem; CPM Assists Family to Sue for Accountability05.20.2020
- Despite Court Closures, 2020 Brought Big Courthouse Wins for Plaintiffs in the Southern California Gas Leak CasesAdvocates for Justice, 01.13.2021
- Advocates for Justice, 01.07.2021
- The Apex Doctrine Does Not Preclude Taking the Depositions of Top-Level Executives and Agency Heads with Personal Knowledge of Information or Communications Material to the ActionAdvocates for Justice, 10.20.2020
- Advocates for Justice, 05.03.2020
American Bar Association
American Association for Justice
Consumer Attorneys of California
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice, Leadership Council and Volunteer Attorney
- Aviation / Helicopter Accidents
- Consumer Protection Class Actions
- Contamination, Toxic Torts, and Environmental Justice
- Defective Products / Mass Torts
- Elder Abuse
- Environmental Law
- False Claims / Whistleblower Law
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Securities / Financial Fraud
University of California, Los Angeles, B.S.
- Dean’s Honors
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D.
- All Federal Courts in California