Robert Hutchinson heads the Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy Los Angeles office. Robert is a veteran trial lawyer, having tried over 30 jury trials in Federal and State courts and numerous complex arbitrations and court trials. In 2000, he won a $4.9 million verdict for a client who lost his right leg above the knee, believed to be the largest verdict to that time for that type of injury in the State of California.
Robert successfully argued the case of Vanhorn v. Torti (2008) 45 Cal 4th 322 before the California Supreme Court and secured a multi-million dollar settlement for the client.
Robert specializes in personal injury trial practice, emphasis in product liability, consumer protection, securities fraud and consumer class actions.
Robert previously served as Vice President of the California Trial Lawyers Association, now known as Consumer Attorneys of California. Robert also served for ten years on the Board of Directors of the Los Angeles Trial Lawyers Association now known as the Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles.
He has been a frequent lecturer on product liability law and basic advocacy principles.
Robert was admitted to the American Board of Trial Lawyers in 1999.
He is currently a member of the American Association For Justice, Consumer Attorneys of California, Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles and the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
- CPM Files Product Liability Lawsuit Against Mentor Worldwide Over Mentor MemoryGel Silicone Breast Implants09.28.2016
- The Center for Investigative Reporting, 03.09.2015
- CPM Files Lawsuits on Behalf of Individuals Who Had Counterfeit, Non-FDA-Approved Medical Devices Implanted
- Daily Journal, 08.20.2014
- Lincoln Law Review, Vol. VII Number 1, December 1, 1971
- Advocates for Justice, 07.09.2015
- Advocates for Justice, 03.09.2015
Honors & Awards
Honors & Recognitions
AV Preeminent Rated
University of Illinois, BSBA (1966)
Hastings College of the Law, JD (1969)
Thurston Honor Society 1968
Hastings Law Journal 1967-69
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal District Court (Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern)
- Supreme Court of the United States