Emanuel B. Townsend is a Partner at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP where he represents whistleblowers in qui tam actions in both state and federal court, victims of complex financial fraud, employees who have been unlawfully retaliated against or wrongfully terminated, victims of serious personal injuries, victims of physical and financial elder abuse, and individuals who have lost loved ones due to third-party negligence, recklessness, or intentional misconduct.
Emanuel has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Northern California “Rising Star” from 2017 to 2019.
Emanuel received his Bachelor of Arts in American Studies from the University of California, Santa Cruz, graduating Cum Laude, with Honors in the Major. Emanuel received his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law.
While at UC Hastings, Emanuel had the honor of externing for United States District Court Judge Susan Illston of the Northern District of California. Additionally, while at UC Hastings, Emanuel won the Witkin Award and the Cali Award for being the top student in Legal Writing and Research.
- Emanuel obtained a $2.3 million-dollar jury verdict for former MLB pitcher whose career was cut short when he was injured in an unprovoked attack in front of his home.
- Emanuel recovered $11 million for taxpayers from Marinello Schools of Beauty in a qui tam action brought by six former Marinello employees. The case caused Marinello, one of the largest chains of for-profit beauty schools in the United States, to lose its ability to qualify for and receive federal student loan funds, which forced it to shut down.
- Emanuel was part of the CPM litigation team that recovered $300 million on behalf of the State of California in a case brought under the California False Claims Act against Quest Diagnostics and other medical laboratories.
- KTVU, 05.01.2020
- The Mercury News, 03.20.2018
- San Francisco Chronicle, 03.20.2018
- Legal Reader, 05.25.2017
- San Jose Mercury News, 05.23.2017
- San Francisco Chronicle, 05.15.2017
- Daily Journal, 08.20.2014
- Protecting Our Seniors—Stating a Cause of Action for Elder Abuse is Not as Difficult as Defendants Often ClaimAdvocates for Justice, 01.11.2018
- Advocates for Justice, 03.16.2016
Honors & Awards
Honors & Recognitions
Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Star (2017-2019)
San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, Board Member (2016-present)
University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D.
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Legal Writing and Research
- WITKIN Award for Academic Excellence for Legal Writing and Research
University of California, Santa Cruz
- Dean’s Honors List
- Cum Laude
- Honors in the Major
- Externed for the Honorable Susan Illston, United States District Court Judge, Northern District of California.
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California