Alison E. Cordova is a Partner at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP, practicing in a wide range of civil litigation areas including class actions, personal injury, wrongful death, and consumer fraud. Ms. Cordova received her J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law where she graduated cum laude. Prior to law school, Ms. Cordova received her Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science and Pre-Law from Columbia University.
Before joining Cotchett, Pitre and McCarthy, LLP, Alison ran the San Francisco office of a consumer rights law firm based out of Arizona, where she defended hundreds of consumers against the unscrupulous and unlawful behavior of debt collectors.
Ms. Cordova is a Trial Lawyer who has proven her talents and acumen in several large, complex matters, including taking on Chevron, PG&E, PetSmart, Samsung, the United States of America, and now Boeing – just to name a few. After joining Cotchett, she has argued at the Ninth Circuit and won several cases, including a contract dispute in a legal malpractice case against a nationwide law firm on behalf of a Central California water district. She is a regular speaker with Consumer Attorneys of California, presenting on everything from PG&E Wildfires to Mass Torts to Evaluating Environmental Cases. She sits on the CAOC Board of Directors and the San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association and from time to time, teaches at UC Hastings and Stanford Law Schools.
Ms. Cordova is part of the leadership team that has taken on PG&E for their role in the 2015 Butte wildfire, the 2017 North Bay Wildfires, and the 2018 Camp Fire. She was also co-lead liaison trial counsel in the Tubbs Wildfire state court litigation, advocating for thousands of victims who lost their homes, livelihoods and loved ones. And down in Southern California, Ms. Cordova is part of the leadership team currently taking on Southern California Edison in the Thomas and Woosley Fire cases.
Ms. Cordova represented a California water irrigation district in an attorney legal malpractice action for negligent advice related to a major, multi-million dollar development project, and successfully recovered $7.85 million for the public agency.
Ms. Cordova successfully settled a case against PG&E and a manufacturer of underground utility transformers for millions of dollars on behalf of a client who had suffered a traumatic brain injury when a PG&E transformer exploded underneath him while he was walking down the sidewalk.
Ms. Cordova successfully settled a case for $6.75 million against the City of Pleasanton, California for the family of two elderly, pedestrians who were hit in a marked crosswalk, killing one victim and causing severe injury to the other.
Ms. Cordova represented a young woman in a sexual assault case against her vice principal, recovering a settlement of over $340,000 from Monterey County School District for the victim.
Ms. Cordova represented the City of Richmond in a long battle against Chevron relating to explosion and fire at Chevron’s crude oil refinery in Richmond in 2012, which she successfully settled for $5 million.
Ms. Cordova successfully settled two cases against Samsung Electronics for tens of thousands of dollars for minor injuries caused by exploding Samsung Galaxy S6Active phones.
Ms. Cordova has also taken on PetSmart in two cases where pets were killed during grooming services, and successfully settled both cases after discovery and litigation.
Ms. Cordova presented oral argument in front of the Ninth Circuit in Steinle, et al. v. United States of America, et al.
- Family Sues Carnival and Princess Cruises for Intentionally Hiding Knowledge of COVID-19 Before the Cruise Ship Left Port05.27.2020
- Chicago and San Francisco Law Firms to File Wrongful Death Lawsuits and FAA Claims on Behalf of 10 Canadians Killed in Boeing Max8 Crash in Ethiopia04.29.2019
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit and FAA Claim Filed on Behalf of Young American Woman Killed in Boeing 737 MAX 8 Crash in Ethiopia2019
- Courthouse News, 03.04.2019
- San Francisco Chronicle, 03.01.2019
- San Francisco Examiner, 2018
- Curbed San Francisco, 07.25.2018
- San Francisco Chronicle, 07.24.2018
- UC Hastings College of the Law - San Francisco, 03.2018
- Mission Local, 02.14.2018
- San Francisco Examiner, 02.14.2018
- Family of San Francisco Native Shot With Stolen SFPD Gun Files Claim Against SFPD And SFPD Officer Marvin Cabuntala02.14.2018
- San Francisco Chronicle, 02.14.2018
- KQED, 02.14.2018
- ABC7News, 02.13.2018
- Family Of Fallen Oakland Muralist, Tony Ramos, Files Lawsuit Against Immigration And Customs Enforcement08.03.2017
- Consumerist, 11.23.2016
- San Francisco Chronicle, 11.23.2016
- CBS SF Bay Area, 11.22.2016
- ABC 7 News, 11.22.2016
- San Francisco Examiner, 11.22.2016
- WCCFTech, 10.20.2016
- The Guardian, 10.19.2016
- OC Register, 09.26.2016
- The Mercury News, 09.26.2016
- ABC News, 06.03.2016
- San Francisco Chronicle, 06.02.2016
- CNN, 05.28.2016
- ABC News, 05.27.2016
- San Francisco Chronicle, 05.27.2016
- San Jose Mercury News, 05.27.2016
- Two of State’s Top Consumer Lawyers Named Among Dream Team to Lead Nationwide Class Action Cases Against Volkswagen2016
- NBC Bay Area, 11.16.2015
- The Stanford Daily, 09.29.2015
- San Jose Mercury News, 2015
- ABC 7 News, 09.25.2015
- CPM Files Lawsuit Against Volkswagen on Behalf of Stanford Professors for Allegedly Using Software to Circumvent Emissions Testing09.25.2015
- Stanford Professors Sue Volkswagen, Allege Emissions "Defeat Device" May Have Come From Silicon ValleyNBC Bay Area, 09.25.2015
- San Francisco Chronicle, 09.01.2015
- Steinle Family Files Claims to Hold SF Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, ICE and the Bureau of Land Management Responsible for Daughter's Death09.01.2015
- CNN, 09.01.2015
- ABC 7 News, 09.01.2015
- CBS SF Bay Area, 09.01.2015
- Pleasanton Patch, 09.01.2015
- San Jose Mercury News, 09.01.2015
- Relatives of San Francisco woman 'shot dead by undocumented immigrant' sue the city's sheriff for letting the gunman roam the streetsDaily Mail UK, 09.01.2015
- Los Angeles Times, 09.01.2015
- Huffington Post, 09.01.2015
- CBS News, 09.01.2015
- San Francisco Examiner, 09.01.2015
- Kate Steinle's Family Files Claim Against San Francisco, ICE, Bureau of Land Management for Pier 14 ShootingNBC Bay Area, 09.01.2015
- San Mateo Daily Journal, 06.08.2020
- Secure Your Gun or You May Be LiableConsumer Attorneys of California - Forum Magazine, 11.2019
- San Francisco Chronicle, 04.13.2019
- How to Broker a Deal When David and Goliath Go to BattleConsumer Attorneys of California-Forum, 06.2018
- Advocates for Justice, 03.04.2019
Honors & Awards
Honors & Recognitions
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40
2016-2019 Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Star
UC Hastings Gamechanger
2020 Consumer Attorneys of California, Member of Board of Directors
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40
San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, Board Member
San Mateo County Women’s Law Section – Educational Foundation, Board Member
Guest Instructor at Stanford Law School, Trial Advocacy Workshop
Guest Instructor at UC Hastings Law School
University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D.
Columbia University, B.A.
- California State Courts and District Courts
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- USDC- Northern District of Illinois