- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D.
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Legal Writing and Research
- WITKIN Award for Academic Excellence for Legal Writing and Research
University of California, Santa Cruz
- Dean’s Honors List
- Cum Laude
- Honors in the Major
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Star (2017-2019)
- Externed for the Honorable Susan Illston, United States District Court Judge, Northern District of California.
Emanuel B. Townsend is a Senior Associate at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP where he focuses on false claims act litigation, consumer protection, financial elder abuse, employment law, personal injury and other complex civil litigation.
Emanuel obtained a $2.3 million-dollar jury verdict for former MLB pitcher Greg Reynolds. Reynolds, from Pacifica, played at Stanford before playing in the Rockies, Rangers, and Reds organizations for 10 years. In July 2013, he pitched against the Giants at AT&T Park. Reynolds claimed his career was cut short on January 16, 2015, when he was attacked in front of his Half Moon Bay home by a man on LSD. The man who attacked Reynolds was held liable along with Reynolds’ neighbor, who hosted the LSD party. Both defendants took LSD, but only one defendant attacked Reynolds. The defendant who hosted the LSD party contended he had no liability. After a three-week trial, the jury found both defendants liable for Reynolds’ injury and lost earnings.
Emanuel obtained $11 million for taxpayers from Marinello Schools of Beauty in a qui tam action filed by six whistleblowers, former employees of Marinello. Based on overlapping allegations, the United States Department of Education denied Marinello’s reapplication to receive federal student loan funds, forcing Marinello to close its doors. Prior to its closure, Marinello was one of the largest chains of for-profit beauty schools in the United States.
Emanuel received his Bachelor of Arts in American Studies from the University of California, Santa Cruz, graduating Cum Laude, with Honors in the Major. Emanuel received his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law.
While at UC Hastings, Emanuel had the honor of externing for United States District Court Judge Susan Illston of the Northern District of California. Additionally, while at UC Hastings, Emanuel won the Witkin Award and the Cali Award for being the top student in Legal Writing and Research. Emanuel also worked throughout law school as a law clerk here at the firm.
In 2017 and 2018, Emanuel was selected as a Northern California “Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine.
- August 20, 2014Daily Journal
- January 6, 2020
- March 20, 2018
- March 20, 2018Half Moon Bay Review
- March 20, 2018The Mercury News
- March 20, 2018San Francisco Chronicle
- May 25, 2017Legal Reader
- May 23, 2017San Jose Mercury News
- May 15, 2017
- May 15, 2017KTVU
- May 15, 2017San Francisco Chronicle