Pier shooting victim's family hopes lawsuits force change in sanctuary policy

September 1, 2015

Jim Steinle hopes his family's lawsuit against the San Francisco Sheriff's Department, the Bureau of Land Management and the Immigration and Customs Enforcement department will prevent anyone from living his nightmare.

Steinle was walking with his 32-year-old daughter, Kate, on a popular San Francisco pier when she was fatally struck by a bullet.

"I'm walking arm-in-arm with my daughter and a very good friend. She stops to take a selfie. She turns around real quick and she's shot," he told reporters. "As she fell, she said 'Help Me Dad' -- That's my bedtime story every night."

Within an hour of the shooting, police arrested Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, an undocumented immigrant who had been deported five times and has seven prior felony convictions, including four involving narcotics.

The shooting and arrest have triggered a national debate on San Francisco's Sanctuary City policy, which limits cooperation between local law enforcement and federal immigration authorities.

Lopez-Sanchez, a Mexican national, had been released from San Francisco County Jail in April despite a request from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service to detain him so that ICE field agents could deport him for a sixth time.

Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, who has borne the brunt of the criticism following the incident, has argued that cooperating with the ICE request would have violated San Francisco's Sanctuary City and Due Process for All policies, as well as the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Mayor Ed Lee... (To read the entire article, please click HERE)