Family Files Legal Claims in Wake of San Francisco Pier 14 Shooting

September 1, 2015
ABC 7 News

The family of Kate Steinle, who was fatally shot on San Francisco's Pier 14 in July, filed wrongful death claims on Tuesday against San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, or BLM.

The family of Kate Steinle gathered with attorney Frank Pitre on the steps of San Francisco City Hall Tuesday morning to announce the legal claims, which are often precursors to lawsuits.

"The message that they send by filing three claims today will assure that this never happens again," said Pitre.

"We're frustrated," Brad Steinle, Kate's brother, said at the family news conference. "We're here to make sure that a change is made so nobody has to endure the pain that my mom and dad and I go through on a daily basis."

He went to say that, "the system failed our sister" and that, "At this point, nobody has taken responsibility, accountability. And nothing has changed."

Kate Steinle, 32, was walking on Pier 14 with her father on July 1 when she was shot dead, authorities said.

Within an hour of the shooting, police arrested Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, an undocumented immigrant who had been deported five times and has seven prior felony convictions. Sanchez pleaded not guilty to murder, according to court records.

The case gained national attention and has been spotlighted in the immigration debate and the 2016 presidential race.

The Steinle family blames the officials who released the suspect from jail prior to the July shooting. Pitre said San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi "made himself the king, judge and jury" when it came to the city's cooperation with federal authorities... (To read the entire article, please click HERE)