Couple whose dog died while being groomed at PetSmart file lawsuit

November 22, 2016
San Francisco Examiner

The owners of a pet dachshund who died in May during a grooming appointment at a San Mateo PetSmart filed a lawsuit on Tuesday alleging the company had received several complaints of pet injuries during grooming appointments before but failed to take action to correct the problem.

Terrie Peacock and Stefan Zier’s 1-year-old dachshund Henry died after he was brought into the PetSmart at 3520 S. El Camino Real on May 15 for a nail trim.

Minutes later, the groomer appeared holding an unresponsive Henry, as the dog bled from his mouth. A veterinarian at the store was unable to revive the dog and he was pronounced dead.

The groomer, later identified as 38-year-old Hayward resident Juan Zarate, was arrested that same day on suspicion of felony animal cruelty.

According to the complaint against PetSmart, which was filed by the couple’s attorney Alison Cordova, a large number of consumers nationwide have reported serious injury or pet deaths during grooming sessions at the animal supply store dating as far back as 2010. The injuries range from severe cuts, to overheating, strangulation and blunt force trauma... (To read the entire article, please click HERE)