Firms must pay to remove lead paint in older homes

January 9, 2014
Pleasanton Weekly

In a final ruling Tuesday that could affect older homes in Pleasanton, a Superior Court judge in San Jose increased the amount that three large corporations must pay to eliminate lead paint from 3.5 million old homes in eight California counties as well as San Diego and Oakland to $1.15 billion.

Sherwin Williams, NL Industries and ConAgra Grocery Products must place the sum into an account to be used to remove the lead paint from homes built decades ago to prevent the toxic metal from harming children living in them, Santa Clara County Judge James Kleinberg said.

Kleinberg, who last month ruled the companies had to pay $1.1 billion, recalculated the amount, saying it would cost $400 million to inspect and $750 million to remove lead paint from the interiors of 3,555,630 California homes included in the lawsuit, filed 13 years ago, according to

Tuesday's court filing.

The companies held liable in the case must make payments within 60 days to a fund administered by the state Department of Public Health's

Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch and disbursed to elected officials of the affected counties and cities, Kleinberg said.

The suit covers homes with lead paint inside -- excluding the exteriors -- in Alameda County, as well as in Santa Clara, San Mateo, Solano, Monterey, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Ventura counties and the cities of San Diego and Oakland... (To read the entire article, please click HERE)