- US Supreme Court
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeal
- Northern, Southern, Eastern and Central District of California - Federal Court
University of California Hastings College of Law, J.D.
California State University, Fresno, dual B.A.
- Awarded the Dean’s Medal from both the School of Arts and Humanities and the School of Social Science
Honors & Awards
- SuperLawyers, Northern California 2013
- AV Preeminent Rating, Highest Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Selected by The Consumer Attorneys of California as one of its finalists for Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Top 10 Verdicts (By Impact), The Recorder, 2011
- Top 100 Verdicts in the United States, National Law Journal, 2011
- Selected as "Top 40 Under 40" by The National Trial Lawyers in 2012
- Selected by The National Trial Lawyers as one of the "Top 100 Trial Lawyers" in California for years
- Selected by The Armenian Bar Association as one of its "20 Rising Stars Under 40" in 2011
- Selected as a Rising Star in Northern California, an honor bestowed on the top 2.5% of attorneys under the age of 40
- Selected by The Consumer Attorneys of California as one of its finalists for Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2011
- Selected by California State University, Fresno's College of Arts & Humanities as one of its Distinguished Alumni for its centennial celebration
- Judicial extern for Presiding Justice James Ardaiz of the California Court of Appeal, Fifth Appellate District
- Judicial extern for Justice Marvin Baxter of the California Supreme Court
Ara R. Jabagchourian is a Principal at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP where he practices civil litigation in numerous areas, including product defects, catastrophic personal injury, sexual harassment, antitrust, intellectual property (patents, trademark and trade secret), financial fraud, construction fraud, corporate dissolution, contract disputes, and complex business litigation.
SIGNIFICANT TRIALS AND CASES
As lead trial counsel, Jabagchourian obtained a $114.5 million alter ego verdict against the spouse of the CEO of HL Leasing, Inc., a directed verdict for $114.5 million against three corporate defendants, and a jury verdict in the amount of $47.22 million against two former corporate officers in a class action trial held in Fresno County. The case involved a Ponzi scheme operated by HL Leasing, Inc., whose CEO had committed suicide before the trial commenced, and had resulted in losses to over 1200 investors. Massoyan, et al. v. HL Leasing, Inc., et al., Fresno Superior Court Case No. 09 CECG 01839 (August 5, 2011); upheld on appeal - California Court of Appeal, Fifth Appellate District Consolidated Case Nos. F064875 & F065392 (October 29, 2013).
As co-lead trial counsel, Jabagchourian represented the City and County in San Francisco in a fraud claim against a city contractor who submitted false bills for payment. The city contractor brought a cross-claim seeking over seven million dollars of taxpayer money for an alleged violation of federal constitutional civil rights under 42 U.S.C. section 1983 related to the loss business value and nearly a million dollars under a breach of contractor claim. The jury found that the city contractor intentionally misrepresented claims made through the submission of false invoices to the City and County of San Francisco in addition to breaching the contract with it. Furthermore, the jury completely rejected the contractor's claims for a violation of civil rights and its breach of contract, awarding them nothing. City and County of San Francisco v. Cobra Solutions, Inc., et al., San Francisco Superior Court Case No. CGC 03-417-218 February 15, 2012.
He also recovered the largest individual wrongful death verdict in San Diego County history, when a jury awarded $17.4 million to the wife and three children of a high ranking U.S. Naval Officer, who was killed while riding his bike in a collision with an American Medical Response transport van. Mazurek, et al. v. American Medical Response, et al., San Diego Superior Court Action No. 10-83975 May 20, 2011.
In the case of Davis v. Hope Life Foundation, et al., he obtained a unanimous jury decision related to an out-of-state financial organization that defrauded its customers through sham trusts and promissory notes.
In Siller v. Siller Brothers, Inc., Frank M. Pitre and Jabagchourian obtained a multi-million dollar trial judgment related to a corporate dissolution action filed on behalf of a minority shareholder.
In Murillo v. National Passenger Railroad Corporation, et al., he settled an action against Union Pacific and the State of California Department of Transportation related to the wrongful death of an elderly couple because of an allegedly defectively-designed railroad crossing. The case was brought on behalf of the children and grandchildren of the victims.
Jabagchourian represented Arthur Mkoyan, a Fresno high school valedictorian, and his family, who were facing imminent deportation after seeking asylum from the former Soviet Union in 1992. Arthur and his family were allowed to stay, with Arthur now attending college in California.
Jabagchourian was also appointed as liaison counsel in the matter of In re: Crown Princess Listing Incident, a case involving the substantial tipping of a Princess Cruise Line ship off the coast of Florida. The action involved more than 200 injured plaintiffs. The action was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.
While attending Hastings, he was a judicial extern for Presiding Justice James Ardaiz of the California Court of Appeal, Fifth Appellate District and Justice Marvin Baxter of the California Supreme Court.
Following law school, he worked for the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Competition in Washington, D.C., in investigations dealing with conspiracies, monopolization and mergers. In 2001, he joined private practice, working on antitrust matters with an emphasis in antitrust/intellectual property overlap issues.
Jabagchourian's verdict in Massoyan v. HL Leasing, Inc., et al. was recognized as one of the Top 100 Verdicts in the United States in both the National Law Journal and VerdictSearch in 2011. The Daily Journal, a California legal newspaper, placed Jabagchourian's result in the same case as one of its Top 10 Verdicts by impact for 2011. The National Trial Lawyers Association has selected Jabagchourian as one of the "Top 100 Trial Lawyers" in California for years. The Armenian Bar Association selected Jabagchourian as one of its "20 Rising Stars Under 40" in 2011. He was also selected as a Super Lawyer in Northern California in 2013. For several years he has also been recognized as a Rising Star in Northern California, an honor bestowed on the top 2.5% of attorneys under the age of 40. The Consumer Attorneys of California selected Jabagchourian as one of its finalists for Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2011 and in 2012. In 2013, Martindale-Hubbell had provided Jabagchourian with its highest AV Preeminent Rating through a survey conducted of industry peers and judges. For its centennial celebration, California State University, Fresno's College of Arts & Humanities had selected Jabagchourian as one of its Distinguished Alumni.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Consumer Attorneys of California - "Witness Glitches"2013
- Consumer Attorneys of California - "Voir Dire Roundtable"2013
- Consumer Attorneys of California - "Successor-In-Interest Liability"2012
- Continuing Education of the Bar - "A Complete Guide To PMQ Depositions"2012
- San Mateo County Bar Association Business Litigation Section - "Proving Alter Ego Liability"2012
- Lorman Education Services - "Taking and Defending Depositions"2011
- Consumer Attorneys of California - "Intellectual Property for the Plaintiff's Bar"2011
- Continuing Education of the Bar - "Conflicts of Interest"2010
- Lorman Education Services - "Rules of Evidence In California"2009
- National Business Institute - "Direct and Cross Examination for Civil Litigators"2008
- Lorman Education Services - "Discovery Skills for Legal Staff and Young Lawyers"2008
- California State University, Fresno, Dept. Of Economics - "Antitrust and Intellectual Property Overlap Issues"2007
- Lorman Education Services - "Personal Injury for Paralegals in California"2006
- Proving Wrongful Purpose Under The Unfair Practices Act: Plaintiff and Defense PerspectivesFall 2013Competition: The Journal of the Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section of the State Bar of California, Vol. 22, No. 2
- June 14, 2013Daily Journal
- January 2013Advocate, Volume 40, No. 1
- January 2012Advocate, Vol. 39, No. 1
- February 2011Advocate, Vol. 38, No. 2
- 2010California Litigation, Vol. 23, No. 1
- 2010Competition: The Journal of the Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section of the State Bar of California, Vol. 19, No. 1
- March 2010Plaintiff, Vol. 4, No. 3
- January 2010Forum, Vol. 40, No. 1
- December 2009Plaintiff Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 12
Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
San Mateo Bar Association, Member
San Francisco Bar Association, Member
The National Trial Lawyers, Member
San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Member
San Mateo Trial Lawyers Association, Former Board Member
Armenian Bar Association, Member
Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County - Board Member
- November 18, 2013The Washington Post
- October 30, 2013Fresno Bee
- August 23, 2013San Jose Mercury News
- More tenants sue after fire: Six-alarm blaze at Redwood City apartment killed one and left nearly 100 homelessAugust 22, 2013San Mateo Daily Journal
- July 24, 2013
- July 19, 2013OC Weekly
- July 19, 2013Redwood City-Woodside Patch
- July 18, 2013San Jose Mercury News
- July 17, 2013San Mateo Daily Journal
- July 17, 2013KTVU
- July 15, 2013AP
- July 14, 2013Newsday
- May 2, 2013
- October 30, 2012
- $114 Million in Verdicts Against HL Leasing, Inc. and its Top Corporate Officers for California Ponzi SchemeAugust 5, 2011
- July 28, 2011
- May 20, 2011
- April 24, 2010