University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2006
Stanford University, B.A., 2000
Honors & Awards
- 2014, 2015 Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Best Moot Court Brief, Hastings College of the Law
- Excellence for the Future Award (Pre-Trial Practice), Hastings College of the Law
- Pro Bono Publico Award, Hastings College of the Law
- Most Outstanding Student (Group Advocacy and Systemic Reform), Hastings College of the Law
- 4-Time Academic All-America, Stanford University
- 4-Time All-America, Stanford University
- Freshman Athlete of the Year, Stanford University
Adam J. Zapala is a Principal at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP, where he focuses on antitrust, employment/civil rights litigation, false claims litigation, consumer protection and class actions generally.
Mr. Zapala received a B.A. from Stanford University and his J.D. from University of California, Hastings College of the Law. While at Hastings, Mr. Zapala received awards for best moot court brief, the Pro Bono Publico award, most outstanding student in Group Advocacy and Systemic Reform, and Excellence for the Future Award in Pre-trial Practice.
Previously, Mr. Zapala worked at Davis, Cowell & Bowe, LLP. in San Francisco, where he represented labor unions, Taft-Hartley Pension and Health & Welfare funds, employees and consumers in complex litigation, arbitration and NLRB proceedings. While at DCB, Mr. Zapala served as trial counsel in countless arbitrations on behalf of labor unions and employee benefit funds. He has argued cases before the California First, Third, and Sixth District Court of Appeal.
Mr. Zapala also previously served as a staff attorney with Bay Area Legal Aid, where he focused on representing indigent clients in a wide variety of civil litigation matters. While there, Mr. Zapala developed expertise in Medi-Cal, Medicare and other publicly-financed healthcare systems. While in law school, Mr. Zapala also worked for the public interest law firms of Public Advocates, Inc. and Public Justice, focusing on civil rights class action litigation.
Mr. Zapala also has legislative and policy experience, working on Capitol Hill as a policy aide for Senator Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) in Washington D.C.
Mr. Zapala has deep ties to the Bay Area. He grew up in San Jose, California and attended Bellarmine College Preparatory. While at Stanford University, Mr. Zapala became a four-time Academic All-American, a four-time All-American, and Captain of the Stanford Men’s Soccer Team. In 2001, he was drafted in the Major League Soccer (“MLS”) Super Draft by the Dallas Burn (now FC Dallas).
- Case Notes, Journal of Poverty Law and Policy, Barron v. Martinez, 173 Cal.App.4th 293 (2009)2010Clearinghouse Review
San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
Consumer Attorneys of California
- July 20, 2015
- July 16, 2015
- April 2, 2015
- CPM Wins Important Ruling for Consumers Regarding the Filed-Rate Doctrine In Transpacific Passenger Air Transportation Antitrust LitigationNovember 3, 2014
- Important Ruling In Automotive Parts Price-Fixing Case Preserves Right Of American Consumers And Businesses To Seek DamagesAugust 27, 2014
- January 18, 2013Law360
- September 14, 2012Law360